The History of Killeagh
The word ‘Killeagh’ is thought to mean ‘The Grey Church’. Though it may mean the Church of Aedh (Abban)
In pre-Christian times Killeagh was the stronghold of the ‘Ui Glaisin’ (Gleesons).
In the 7th Century St. Abban is said to have established a Nunnery here on the site of the Protestant Church. The gravestones of this graveyard were recorded in 1973 and can be viewed by clicking Here.
Samuel Lewis, in his Topographical Dictionary of Ireland in 1837 has the following information on Killeagh:
- A post-town and Parish on the road from Cork to Youghal; containing 2785 inhabitants, of which number 698 are in the town.
- The town consists of one regular street, comprising 112 houses. Fairs are held on June 1st and November 1st, at which a great quantity of livestock is sold.
- The parish comprises 5800 statute acres and valued at £4,495 per annum, of which a small quantity is bog, about 400 acres are woodland and the remainder is arable or pasture land of good quality and well cultivated.
- Sea-sand and sea-weed are used as manure, and there is abundance of limestone, brown stone, and inferior slate.
- The Principal seat is Ahadoe House, the residence of Sir Arthur Cappell Brooke. Not more remarkable for its natural beauties than for its having remained int eh same family for more than 600 years, while nearly all the other estates in the South of Ireland have been confiscated. It was granted in 1172 to Philip de Capell, lineal ancestor of the present baronet.
- Mount Uniake is the seat of Norman Uniacke, Esq. It is an ancient family mansion, situated among mountains which have been brought into cultivation, and is surrounded by a grove of fine trees, and commands extensive views of the sea and the vale of Imokilly.
- Dangan (Dangandonovan) comprises 5449 statute acres. By draining, irrigating and the introduction of modern farming implements, the state of agriculture has been greatly improved. A large supply of turf is procured from the mountain land, which constitutes about one-fourth of the parish. Fairs are held on Feb. 2nd, April 1st and Aug. 5th for the sale of cattle, sheep, pigs, pedlery, agricultural and other implements.
(The gravestones inscriptions of Dangan were also recorded in 1973 and can be viewed by clicking here)
- Ardagh, the general aspect is mountainous and a large portion of its surface is unreclaimed, affording a plentiful supply of turf. The soil is for the most part poor and stony: and excepting the waste the land is wholly in tillage and only infferently cultivated. Forms part of the R.C. parish of Killeagh: the chapel is a small thatched building situated at Inch
(The 1901 Youghal census Index includes people from Killeagh. Click Here for more information.)
1911 Census Head of households for Killeagh. Click Here for more information.